East of Scotland League, League Cup, first round:

Oakley United 4 Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 1

A SECOND-HALF double from Johnny Harrison helped Oakley United claim derby honours against 10-man Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts on Saturday.

Stewart Kenny's team, fresh from completing a fine away league victory at First Division, Conference A leaders Leith Athletic, took on their high-flying Conference B counterparts and went on to record a convincing victory.

Following their 5-0 success at Hawick Royal Albert, Swifts boss Grant Brough had hinted that he would rotate his squad, and he made six changes to his starting line-up.

With Gavin Smith, Reece Bernard and Charlie Simpson unavailable, and Steven Slimmings, Ryan O'Connor and Johnny Pennel dropping to the bench, Blair Duff, making his debut after signing from Glenrothes, Brodie Hamilton, Dean Anderson, Shay Brough, Rab Kinnaird and Ewan Strang all came in.

But it was the home side who drew first blood at Blairwood Park when recent signing Mark Mooney opened the scoring on the half-hour mark, only for Brough to respond quickly for the Ballast Bank visitors.

A penalty converted by Craig Martin put Oakley ahead again just before the interval and, during the half-time break, Hamilton received a red for the Swifts for comments made to the referee.

That gave Kenny's side the impetus to go on and clinch the game and, after two goals in as many second-half minutes from Harrison, they sealed their place in the second round.

The Oakley boss commented: "It was a good result and a good performance.

"We got a bit of luck, and Inverkeithing will probably agree that they could play better, but we've got to go out and do our own job and I thought the players carried it out to perfection.

"It was tight going in at half-time at 2-1 but the changing point was when their player got sent off going up into the changing room.

"We played really well and our two strikers, especially Mark Mooney, were excellent. He's getting fitter every week and gives us something different up there that we've not had all season."

Ahead of the game, Oakley confirmed that captain Stuart Love, Daniel Kelly and Bruce McAdam had all penned new deals with the club, and Kenny continued: "To get Stuart Love under contract says a lot about how hard the committee have worked to sign these players.

"I think the whole club can see the direction we're going in. If we can get some business done before the end of the season, it makes my job much easier.

"Hopefully, we can have a couple of good runs in the cups. If we can stay in the cups, it means the players will still play at a decent tempo, and their willingness to win will still be there."

His defeated Swifts counterpart Brough said: "Oakley deserved it.

"We had made a few changes but that's not an excuse. We lost a couple of sloppy goals, and losing a man right at half-time for making comments to the referee hampered us.

"The boys put in a good account of themselves and worked hard. It was good to get 90 minutes in a few of the boys' legs but we never got into much of a flow.

"I've no qualms about the result. The league is our priority, and we need to try and finish as high as we can."

East of Scotland League, League Cup, second round:

Jeanfield Swifts 4 Crossgates Primrose 2

PRIMROSE boss Alan Campbell has backed his side to respond to their cup exit by securing their Premier Division status.

After four weeks without a game due to the weather, Crossgates were caught cold when Chris McLeish gave the hosts the initiative within minutes of kick-off and, although Sean O'Neil brought them level quickly, Connor McLaren restored Jeanfield's advantage before the break.

A fine goal on the counter-attack by Archie Campbell 20 minutes from time brought the Humbug Park outfit level for a second time but goals from former Kelty Hearts hitman Chris Dodd and Scott Smith took the tie away from them.

Campbell, who completed the signing of Cammy Lumsden from Berwick Rangers ahead of the game, commented: "You could probably see that we hadn't played for a month. There was a bit of rustiness there but it was the same for Jeanfield. We were 2-1 down at half-time playing into the wind but I didn't think we deserved to be. The game was on a knife-edge for the last 25 minutes. It was disappointing to go out but it was just great to get back playing."

Crossgates, with nine games of their league campaign to go, travel to Linlithgow Rose on Saturday, and then Bo'ness United on Wednesday, as they bid to steer clear of any relegation worries.

They current sit 12th, four places and eight points above bottom club Newtongrange Star, and have five of their remaining fixtures on home turf.

They've won five of their six league matches at Humbug, and Campbell added: "There are three or four teams fighting at the top and eight teams fighting at the bottom so it's going to be a very exciting end to the season.

"If you lose a couple, you could find yourselves in trouble, but if you win a couple, you could probably find yourself in the top half.

"We've got nine games to go and we want to get some points on the board quickly, make sure we're safe and look forward to next season.

"The comforting thing for me is that five of those games are at home, and we've been pretty strong at home this year."

Lowland League:

Kelty Hearts 2 BSC Glasgow 2

CAMMY RUSSELL was the hero for Kelty Hearts as they rescued a stoppage time draw with BSC Glasgow on Tuesday night.

Barry Ferguson's table-toppers looked to be heading for their first defeat in 21 Lowland League games when Russell managed to send the ball over the line following a scramble inside the box.

After nearest challengers Bonnyrigg Rose could only draw at home to Civil Service Strollers on Saturday, this match presented the hosts with the chance to move eight points clear, but instead the gap returns to six as the title race heads towards its conclusion.

This was a second meeting of the two clubs in just four days, after they had battled it out for a place in the last eight of the SFA South Region Challenge Cup on Friday night.

That game saw Ferguson hand a debut to Scotland under-18 international goalkeeper Ross Sinclair after he joined the club on loan from St Johnstone until the end of the season, but saw Kelty exit on penalties.

After Robbie McNab gave BSC an early lead, Ross Philp was felled by Jamie McCormack – who received a second yellow card – four minutes from time inside the box, allowing Scott Linton to convert the resulting penalty.

No further goals were scored following extra time and, with the scores level at 5-5 during the penalty shoot-out, Ross Smith sent BSC through after Chris Humphrey saw his spot-kick saved by Ryan Marshall.

When the teams reconvened at New Central Park, it was BSC again who struck first, with Ross McMillan netting in the 12th minute after being picked out by Thomas Collins.

But, midway through the opening period, Michael Tidser hauled Kelty level with an excellent free kick, only for Collins to put the visitors back in front eight minutes before the break.

But, with time running out, Russell scrambled home the equaliser and Ferguson said: "We've played better. We had a long chat with them in there. They're an honest group and we just weren't at it tonight.

"When it's not your night – you're 2-1 down, they're defending for their lives – we showed unbelievable character and that's one thing about them, getting that goal with the last kick of the ball."

l Saturday's fixtures (kick-off 2.30pm unless stated): Lowland League – Edinburgh University v Kelty Hearts (3pm). East of Scotland League, Premier Division – Linlithgow Rose v Crossgates Primrose. First Division, Conference A – Oakley United v Dunipace. Conference B – Tynecastle v Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts. McBookie.com South Premier League – Sauchie Juniors CFC v Rosyth.