Dunfermline Athletic 3, Clyde 2.

DUNFERMLINE left it late to claim top spot in their Bet Fred group after going two goals down in their tie against Clyde.

The Pars battled back and snatched the game in the dying seconds from their league one opponents.

The victory means four wins out of four for Stevie Crawford’s men in the competition. A feat which means they will be seeded in tomorrow’s draw.

With Owain Fon Williams and Lewis Mayo both on international duty, Cammy Gill was brought into the starting eleven. Matthew Bowman, Ryan Dow and Kevin O’Hara all came into the starting eleven with Dom Thomas, Kyle Turner and Stephen Whittaker dropping down to the bench.

The Pars started the game well and came close after just four minutes when Dow whipped in a lovely low ball to O’Hara but he couldn’t get his effort on target.

McManus found himself with several chances in the opening part of the game and was unlucky not to get on the scoreline on the half hour mark when he was put through by a deft ball from debutant Matthew Bowman.

The frontman fired in a shot which was well saved by the Clyde keeper.

Minutes later thought, a shellshocked Athletic were behind after a defensive mix up saw the Pars go a goal down.

Under pressure, they lost possession in the box and Love pounced to put the away side ahead.

O’Hara nearly drew level minutes later but his header hit the post and went wide.

It got from bad to worse at the start of the second half when Clyde doubled their lead. Mark Lamont picked up the ball on the edge of the box, turned and slotted past Cammy Gill to make it 0-2.

There was a ray of hope just before the 60 minute mark when Fraser Murray was brought down by Clyde keeper Vajs after being put through by McManus.

O’Hara stepped up and smashed the resulting spot kick into the back of the net.

Dunfermline took the initiative and the introduction of Turner and Thomas brought with it more attacking play and hope of a comeback.

It was McManus, however, who grabbed the equaliser. After a nicely weighted ball from Dow, he rounded Vajs to make it two.

There was more joy for Dunfermline minutes later just as the game looked like it would be decided on penalties. Kyle Turner floated a free kick into the box which Paul Watson managed to get his head on.

The Clyde keeper appeared to miss the ball and Watson’s effort managed to find its way into the Clyde net.


Dunfermline: Gill, Edwards, E Murray, O'Hara, McManus, Dow, Wilson (Turner 52), Bowman (McCann 84), F Murray (Thomas 66), McInroy, Watson.

Subs: Swinton, Whittaker, Fenton, Berry.

Goals: O’Hara (59), McManus (86), Watson (90)

Clyde: Vajs, Howie (Bain 66), Shiels, McNiff, Rumsby, Cuddihy, Lamont, Goodwillie, Love (Henderson 77), Cunningham, Robertson.

Subs: Mitchell, Henderson, Jack, Syvertsen.

Goals: Love (38), Lamont (50)

Referee: David Dickinson