East of Scotland League, First Division, Conference B:

Oakley United 1 Kinnoull 1

STEWART KENNY praised his players after Oakley United moved top of the table on Saturday.

In a keenly-fought contest at Blairwood Park, it took until the 77th minute for there to be a goal and it came for the Perthshire visitors, thanks to Shaun Simpson.

But, with three minutes to go, Craig Martin netted a penalty for Kenny's team that saw them go top – even if he didn't realise it in the immediate aftermath of the match.

"For them to be where they are, it's a credit to them," he said.

"We've got a good side, we've got fantastic football players, but there's times we just lack that wee bit of penetration.

"Did we have more of the ball? Yes. Did we have the better chances? Yes. But, the bottom line is, it's taken us to the 87th minute to squeeze a point out of the game. In hindsight, it's probably a good point, a fair point, but it's a very rigid back line, hard to play against, hard to break down and then, when you do break it down, in my opinion you're up against one of the best goalkeepers in non-league football.

"It wasn't a great game but that's what happens at this time of year – you've got to grind out results, roll the sleeves up, plough through the mud and hopefully pick up three points."

Betfred Cup, Group C:

Brechin City 0 Kelty Hearts 2

KELTY HEARTS rounded off their maiden Betfred Cup campaign on a high by securing their first win at Brechin City on Saturday.

Second-half goals from Dylan Easton and Robbie McNab handed Barry Ferguson's Lowland League side the points against their League Two opponents, ensuring a fourth-place finish in Group C.

The match against their opponents, under the charge of ex-Pars midfielder Michael Paton, had extra spice following the curtailment of last season's campaign.

Play-offs across the divisions were scrapped due to COVID-19, meaning that Kelty – declared Lowland League champions – were denied a tie with Highland League winners, Brora Rangers, for the right to play the team that finished bottom of League Two, which was Brechin, for a place in the SPFL.

City, with on-loan Dunfermline midfielder Matty Todd in their ranks, forced Darren Jamieson into an early save through Connor Barron before Easton and Kallum Higginbotham responded with opportunities for the visitors.

Kelty continued to have chances before the break, but it was four minutes into the second half when, after playing a one-two with Higginbotham, Easton sent an angled right-foot shot into the far corner.

Both teams continued to create openings, with Nathan Austin, making his comeback after injury, shooting over for the visitors before Jamieson saved well from Todd, who came closed to levelling with 15 minutes to go.

Four minutes later, Kelty sealed the tie when Higginbotham laid the ball in between two City defenders into McNab, who fired home from around 12 yards.

East of Scotland League, Premier Division:

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 0 Newtongrange Star 2

THE wait for a home win goes on for Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts as Newtongrange Star took the spoils at Ballast Bank on Saturday.

Grant Brough's side had picked up their first victory – 4-0 at Hill of Beath Hawthorn – seven days previously but were brought back to earth with a bump as they conceded five without reply at Sauchie on Wednesday evening.

With just three minutes on the clock, the Swifts were behind when Ryan Porteous gave the visitors the lead.

They doubled their advantage in the 26th minute when, after Inverkeithing failed to clear a low cross, Dan McBay was there to wrap up a fourth win in five for Star.

The result leaves the Swifts second-bottom of the table, with three points from their first seven games, just ahead of winless – and pointless – Whitehill Welfare.

East of Scotland League, Premier Division:

Tynecastle 3 Crossgates Primrose 3

ALAN CAMPBELL believes his players deserve a bit more luck after they shared the points in a six-goal capital thriller.

Having recorded their first win at the seventh attempt on Wednesday – Scott Lawrie's penalty earning a 1-0 victory at Blackburn United – they led twice at Tynecastle but had to settle for a point after conceding a late equaliser.

Kenny Fisher gave the hosts the lead with only nine minutes on the clock but, after another Lawrie spot-kick on the half-hour pulled them level, Archie Campbell's driven near-post finish gave them the initiative before the break.

Tynecastle squared the game three minutes shy of the hour through Taylor Hendry but they were only on terms for five minutes as Ciaren Chalmers fired Primrose ahead again.

It looked as though Campbell's team were on course for a second successive win but, despite heroics from ex-Pars keeper Craig Burt in making a double save to deny Fletcher Hendry and Ryan Cameron, he was powerless to stop the latter touching home the loose ball with 10 minutes to go.

"For the neutral, it was a brilliant game to watch; it had a bit of everything," the Humbug Park boss said.

"But as a manager or a coaching team, it's not probably the type of game you enjoy really because no team really had control of the game at any point.

"I think we'll maybe feel a wee bit more aggrieved because we were winning twice so I just think we could've been a bit more streetwise and seen the game out but, credit to them, they kept on coming at us and I think a draw was a fair result over the piece.

"We're getting absolutely everything out of the players just now, with the effort they're giving, and I just think we're due a bit of luck soon."

Campbell, who lost Reece Sawers to a broken nose during the game, should have Johnny Galloway and and Stewart McDonald available this weekend, while Adam Moffat and Mark McKenzie are back in training.

East of Scotland League, First Division, Conference A:

Dalkeith Thistle 2 Rosyth 2

ROSYTH remain second in the table after a late Ryan McDonald goal rescued a point at Dalkeith Thistle.

With just two defeats from their opening games, Rosyth were just two points adrift of early pacesetters Haddington Athletic before kick-off, and made a dream start inside the opening minute at King's Park.

In-form Gregg Page evaded the hosts' offside trap and ran in on goal before slipping the ball under goalkeeper Shea Dowie but they were pegged back on the half-hour mark thanks to Darren Leslie.

A goal-line clearance denied the visitors the lead for a second time in the early stages after the break but it was Dalkeith who got their noses in front when Scott Walker netted from around 20 yards with 12 minutes left.

However, with three minutes left, McDonald turned inside the penalty area and sent the ball beyond Dowie to earn a point that leaves Rosyth four points off top spot.

Boss Brian Muirhead, who was unable to attend the match, has completed the signing of Dundonald Bluebell midfielder Michael Ness and said: "He plays left or right midfield, is a workaholic and is super-fast. He'll hopefully train Thursday and be in the squad for Saturday.

"I think Michael was getting a bit frustrated with maybe not getting as much game time there but it's a brilliant bit of business for us so I'm happy with that."

l Saturday's fixtures: Lowland League – Kelty Hearts v Cumbernauld Colts (3pm). The Soccer Shop Direct Challenge Cup, second round – Coldstream v Crossgates Primrose (2.30pm), Gartcairn v Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts (2pm), Peebles Rovers v Oakley United (1.30pm), Rosyth v Camelon (2.30pm).