Arbroath 1 PARS 3, Betfred Cup

ATHLETIC will pit their wits against Premiership opposition for a Betfred Cup semi-final place after recording victory at Arbroath on Saturday.

Goals from Ryan Dow, captain Euan Murray and substitute Kevin O'Hara gave them a well-earned win at Gayfield in the last 16 to set up a home clash with St Johnstone in the next round.

Having progressed from Group E with a flawless record, the reward for Stevie Crawford's team - seeded for the first knockout round draw - was a meeting with his former Pars boss Dick Campbell, whose side had won one and drawn the other of their home Championship meetings with Dunfermline last term.

The visitors made one alteration to the starting line-up that impressively saw off Hearts last time out, with Iain Wilson coming in for Steven Whittaker, and they started brightly.

Wilson, Kyle Turner and Dom Thomas each had attempts in a bid to make an early breakthrough but, after Gavin Swankie fired wide for the Lichties, Owain Fon Williams had to be on top form to deny former Par James Craigen.

But, just shy of the half hour mark, it was Dunfermline who hit the front with an extremely well-taken goal.

Picking up the ball at the edge of the penalty area Dow, with a swing of his left foot, sent a fine shot beyond home goalkeeper Derek Gaston to find the corner of the net.

Dunfermline maintained the pressure and, nine minutes from the interval, they doubled their advantage through Murray.

After Paul Watson initially met Thomas' corner, Lewis Mayo returned the ball into the danger area and the centre back tapped in his seventh goal in 10 games, and for the second match in a row.

Home gaffer Campbell responded at the break with a double substitution - sending on Bobby Linn and Dale Hilson for Scott Stewart and Michael McKenna - but Dow could've sealed victory when played in by Thomas, only to send the ball wide.

With 20 minutes played in the second half, Arbroath pulled a goal back when, after a well-worked move, Hilson finished well at the back post after Craigen sent a fine ball across goal from the left.

The home side continued to probe in an effort to find a leveller but, with seven minutes to go, Dunfermline sealed it from the penalty spot.

Having already had a goal chalked off for offside since replacing Declan McManus, O'Hara netted from 12 yards after Ricky Little was penalised for handball following a shot by Dow, sending Dunfermline to the last eight for the first time since 2008.

At the conclusion of yesterday's final tie of the weekend - which saw Rangers defeat Falkirk 4-0 - the draw for the quarter-finals was made, with Dunfermline drawn to face St Johnstone.

The teams' last League Cup meeting came in 2003 when Saints, then in the First Division, defeated Jimmy Calderwood's Premier Division Pars 3-2.

The full draw is:

St Mirren v Rangers

Alloa Athletic v Hibernian

Livingston v Ross County

Dunfermline v St Johnstone.

The ties will be played over the midweek of December 15-17.