FC Edinburgh 0 PARS 3

ATHLETIC continued their perfect start to the new League One season as they enjoyed a comfortable victory at 10-man FC Edinburgh this afternoon.

Lewis McCann's first half double, and a second half goal for debutant, Chris Mochrie, gave James McPake's men a commanding and thoroughly deserved win at Meadowbank Stadium.

Forward McCann put the visitors in command in the opening period, either side of having a penalty saved, an award which resulted in a red card for FC Edinburgh's Jack Brydon for bringing down Craig Wighton.

Mochrie, who replaced Wighton in the second half, finished well from Joe Chalmers' pass to add a third and make it two wins from two.

This success in the capital - FC Edinburgh's first league match at their new home, having moved back from their previous base at Ainslie Park - means that they are level at the top with Airdrieonians, who are two goals better off after a 4-0 success over Falkirk.

Pars boss McPake made one alteration to his team that defeated Alloa Athletic in their opening fixture last weekend, with Wighton coming into the side in place of Kyle MacDonald, who dropped to the bench.

He was one of only five substitutes named by the visitors, but that number including new signing, Mochrie, who completed a loan move from Dundee United yesterday.

The hosts, on the back of their impressive win at Kelty Hearts in their opener, had several recognisible names, including ex-Raith Rovers full back, Kieran MacDonald, and ex-Hibernian pair, Danny Handling and Liam Fontaine.

Dunfermline made a positive enough start, controlling possession and winning a few early corners, and it was from a set-piece that they made the breakthrough.

After Wighton was hauled down on the left-hand side, Paul Allan's fine delivery was perfectly met by McCann, who planted an excellent header beyond Robbie Mutch from 12 yards.

It was the perfect start, yet, 60 seconds later, Edinburgh should have squared the game when Ryan Shanley sent John Robertson racing in behind the Pars defence.

Fortunately, for the visitors, he sent the ball wide of target with only Deniz Mehmet to beat.

At the other end, Kevin O'Hara was unfortunate to lift a deft lob over the advancing Robbie Mutch too high as he raced on to a ball over the top from Mehmet, before they had a golden chance to go 2-0 up after 27 minutes.

Mutch, from a goal kick, played the ball short to Brydon, who got caught and was dispossessed by Wighton.

The Edinburgh defender then pulled back the Pars attacker in the box, and was duly sent off as Barry Cook awarded a penalty, but McCann's effort was saved by Mutch to his right.

The home keeper then excelled himself further with a superb double save.

Edwards supplied the delivery from the left and Wighton, first time, sent a fine effort towards goal that Mutch did brilliantly to parry away, before the ex-Falkirk stopper denied O'Hara at the far post on the follow-up.

However, he couldn't do anything about Dunfermline's second goal when it did arrive four minutes before the break.

It was a bit of a scramble, from a cross into the box, but McCann got the final touch to net his and his team's second of the afternoon, despite Mutch's efforts to keep it out.

The second half, perhaps predictably, saw Dunfermline continue to control the match and pepper their opponents' goal, with Rhys Breen, Joe Chalmers and O'Hara all having attempts, none of which troubled the goal.

With just over an hour played, McPake introduced Mochrie from the bench for his debut, in place of Wighton, and shortly afterwards, Chalmers flashed a decent, low drive just off-target after a cross was cleared to him at the edge of the box.

Chalmers then turned provider as Mochrie enjoyed a dream debut by scoring Dunfermline's third.

The substitute was played through expertly and, as Mutch came out to try and block, he tucked a cool finish under him to make the game safe.

There was a chance for another Pars sub, Nikolay Todorov, to make it four when he took advantage of a slip in the home backline to lash towards goal, only for Mutch to divert it wide at the near post, while he was denied well by Mutch by finding himself clear on goal with five minutes left.

They came even closer in the final minute, when Matty Todd headed a cross onto the bar, before Kyle MacDonald shot wide from the rebound, before O'Hara had another attempt saved by Mutch.

By then, however, such chances would have simply added gloss to an otherwise fine afternoon for the Pars in the capital.

FC Edinburgh: Mutch, MacDonald, McIntyre, Shanley (Murray 60), Handling (See 60), Robertson, Jacobs (Watson 74), Brydon, Fontaine, Johnson (Hamilton 38), Crane (Delferriere 74).

Subs not used: Ramsbottom, Travis, Brian, Docherty.

Booked: Shanley (36).

Red card: Brydon (27).

Pars: Mehmet, Comrie, Benedictus, Breen, Edwards, Chalmers (MacDonald 73), Todd, Allan, O'Hara, McCann (Todorov 73), Wighton (Mochrie 63).

Subs not used: Young, Little.

Goals: McCann (14, 41), Mochrie (72).

Missed penalty: McCann (27).

Booked: Edwards (21).

Referee: Barry Cook.