DUNFERMLINE Rugby Club's men's first XV are one game away from a final at Murrayfield after winning their National Shield quarter-final.

The McKane Park outfit welcomed Tennent's Men's West League Division Two Dalziel last Saturday in a bid to move another step closer to repeating the success they had in the competition in 2012, when they defeated Musselburgh 11-9 to lift the trophy.

Tennent's Men's Caledonia Region League Division One leaders Dunfermline, who just need a win in their rearranged, last game of the season to win the title and promotion to the national leagues, had to fight back from a half-time deficit to ensure they would be in the last four after a nailbiting afternoon.

A large crowd, swelled by those who travelled from Motherwell to cheer on the visitors, saw Gavin Emerson's team trail at the interval.

The North Lanarkshire outfit put themselves 10-5 in front, but 18 unanswered points from Dunfermline booked them their place in the semi-finals, where they will travel to play Castle Douglas-based Stewartry on April 1, with a 23-10 victory.

"Dalziel were pumped and brought a good crowd," the head coach said.

"We were getting beat at half time, which was quite a shock. We didn't expect it, but Dalziel were right up for it; it was the cup, they were playing against a team in a higher division, so they might've felt that they have to go for it.

"We dropped balls in important areas. I'm not sure if nerves played a part, as there was a big turnout, and it was an important game. The message at half-time was to stick to the plan, and we started to get in front of them. We quietened their crowd down, which was important as their crowd were very vocal!

"We allowed them some easy outs – the only time they were really in our 22 was when we gave away penalties – but it was a great occasion and a great game.

"The crowd was superb; I've never seen the clubhouse so busy after a game. You could hardly move.

"It was a nailbiting game but we came out on top."

Ahead of the team being drawn to play Stewartry, the winners of whom will play either East Kilbride or North Berwick in the final, Emerson noted: "It's nice to have it done.

"It's one of those events where, if you want to win it, you have to be capable of beating whoever you face.

"We did what we needed to do."

Meanwhile, Dunfermline's final match of the Tennent's Caledonia Region League, Division One season, with Aberdeen Wanderers, has been rescheduled for March 25.

A win for Dunfermline in the game, which was called off on February 25 due to Aberdeen not having enough players, will seal the title and promotion into the national leagues.

Elsewhere, Dunfermline's ladies team had also been due to play in the National Plate, against Peterhead, but the match was called off due to the visiting Aberdeenshire team not having sufficient players to fulfil the fixture, with the West Fifers progressing to the next round.