Rosyth 5 Heriot-Watt University 1, East of Scotland League, League Cup, second round

ROSYTH manager Greig Denham says his side are in "a good place" after a five-star show saw them make League Cup progress.

The hosts proved too strong for the Second Division students at the Fleet Grounds on Saturday, racing into a 4-0 lead before eventually securing a 5-1 victory.

With talisman, Tam Hampson, unavailable, goals were provided by Aiden McAvoy, Ryan McDonald, Jack Denham, Darren Ormiston and Zac Mooney, and their boss was pleased to see them spread around the team.

"It was a good result on Saturday. The key objective was to get through, and that's exactly what we did," Denham said.

"I thought we played some really good football, especially in the first half. We came off it slightly at 4-0 up, which I guess is human nature.

"I was thoroughly pleased. Heriot-Watt are going well in their division but, I've always said, when we turn up and are at it, we're a very hard to beat. We've shown that over the last few weeks. We've scored 11 goals in the last three weeks. It's pleasing to see the goals being shared around the team, and we've certainly tightened up defensively.

"We're in a good place at the moment."

Crossgates Primrose 2 Thornton Hibs 3

A DRAMATIC final minute saw goals exchanged but Primrose lose out in their League Cup tie with fellow Fifers Thornton Hibs.

Alan Campbell's Premier Division outfit looked to be taking the match to extra-time when substitute, Scott Lawrie, scored in the 90th minute, but an incredible finale saw Garry Thomson score a minute later to knock Crossgates out.

Due to a waterlogged pitch at Humbug Park, the tie was moved to Dalgety Bay Sports and Leisure Centre, and the 'home' side enjoyed much of the play in the opening 45 minutes, with Hibs' Calum Sutherland the busier of the two goalkeepers, producing fine stops to twice deny Cammy Dow, who also struck the crossbar, as well as Jackson Cowan and Archie Campbell.

Crossgates had the chance to take the lead just after the hour mark when Brian Ritchie was brought down by in the box, but David Cross' penalty was saved by Sutherland, who also blocked on the rebound.

Cammy Muirhead, who, like Lawrie, started on the bench, handed Primrose the advantage in the 63rd minute but, with less than 15 minutes to go, Joe Kinninmonth pulled Thornton level, before Jamie McNeish gave them the lead minutes later.

Deep into stoppage time, Lawrie looked to have taken the game to extra-time, but Thomson's intervention sent the Second Division visitors through.

Penicuik Athletic 2 Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 1

INVERKEITHING Hillfield Swifts saw their League Cup aspirations end after a narrow defeat at Penicuik Athletic.

Craig Morrison's side had won their previous two fixtures, which included a 4-3 success, after extra-time, at Whitehill Welfare in the previous round, but they came unstuck against Calum Elliot's team.

Taylor Hendry gave the home side the lead after 21 minutes, being alert to knock home from close range after a back-post header, from a free-kick, fell his way inside the six-yard box.

Midway through the second half, Penicuik doubled their lead, when Alex Chingwalu rifled a shot high into the top corner from around 12 yards.

Although Ynyr Liddell's well-taken header with seven minutes to go gave the Swifts hope, they couldn't find an equaliser to take the time to extra-time, and exited the competition.

Saturday's fixtures (kick-offs 2.30pm unless stated): East of Scotland League, Premier Division: Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v Crossgates Primrose (3pm), Penicuik Athletic v Oakley United, Tynecastle v Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts. First Division: Rosyth v Preston Athletic.