Fauldhouse United 0 Crossgates Primrose 1, Alex Jack Cup, first round

CROSSGATES PRIMROSE required extra time to win through to the second round of the Alex Jack Cup against Fauldhouse United on Saturday.

Alan Campbell's Premier Division visitors, who won the competition in 2021/2022, found matters tough going against their opponents from three divisions below.

However, after a scoreless 90 minutes, Primrose improved during the additional half-an-hour, and found the winner three minutes into the second period of extra time through Craig Henderson.

A South Challenge Cup tie at fellow Premier Division side Sauchie is up next for Crossgates, whose boss Campbell said: "I wasn't particularly happy with our performance, and it's not normally that I say that.

"The objective beforehand was to get through the tie, and we've done that, but we were just untidy.

"Defensively we were really sound. Our goalkeeper was only troubled from distance, and our back four were really good, but going forward we didn't work them out. We didn't create enough chances.

"Ironically, we played well in extra time. We created chances and started to take more risks.

"Nobody will remember this tie if we go further in the competition. We came through it unscathed."

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 2 Peebles Rovers 3, Alex Jack Cup, first round

A DIFFICULT start to the season for the Swifts continued as they were eliminated from the Alex Jack Cup by lower league opposition.

Jason Dair's side, who have yet to pick up a competitive win at the beginning of this campaign, entertained Second Division Peebles Rovers with the hope of reaching round two with a confidence boosting win.

However, they made the worst possible start when, after scrappy attempts to clear from inside the hosts' penalty area, Luke MacLean set up Grant Wilson to open the scoring for Peebles after just 24 seconds.

Swifts, though, responded well and levelled through Liam Kelly's fine first-time finish in the 11th minute, before Che Reilly's neat finish after a quick break put them ahead just four minutes later.

Just before the half hour mark, the tie was all-square once more when, from a short corner, Grant Doyle's cross evaded everyone and found the far corner of the net.

Although Inverkeithing had, and spurned, several opportunities, it was Peebles who sealed a place in the next round when Kyle Kivlichan's early second half finish, on the rebound from a Wilson free-kick off the post, proved decisive.

“Overall, Saturday’s game was disappointing,” Dair commented.

“There was a mix of good stuff and bad stuff, with the bad unfortunately outweighing the good! Hopefully, as the weeks go on, this changes as the boys settle and get more comfortable with what’s being asked, and we can start to see the rewards of all the hard work we are putting in just now.”

Edinburgh South 2 Rosyth 3, Alex Jack Cup, first round

ROSYTH scored a late winner to win through to the second round of the Alex Jack Cup but manager Greig Denham is seeking an improved performance this weekend.

The First Division outfit visited Edinburgh South, who are in the league below, but needed a last minute goal from Darren Ormiston to clinch the tie.

After falling behind in the capital, Marc Sludden equalised for the Rec before Jason Penman's penalty put them in front.

Although Edinburgh hit back to level, Ormiston had the final say for Rosyth, but Denham said: "It was a fairly flat performance. I wasn't really pleased with it to be honest.

"A win's a win and we're into the next round, I get that, but we need to be a bit slicker and sharper.

"We conceded two poor goals against a team the league below that have not won a game all season. We're giving other teams opportunities and we need to get back to being hard to beat and resilient.

"The work rate needs to be upped a wee bit. We'll remind them that the hard work that helped bring us a bit of success last season, in terms of winning games, needs to be implemented.

"I expect an improved performance on Saturday. If we do that, and get back to the way we can play, then it should be a good, competitive game."

Vale of Leithen 1 Oakley United 4, East of Scotland League, Premier Division

OAKLEY UNITED secured their first win of the season in convincing style after coming from behind to defeat Vale of Leithen.

The Blairwood Park outfit had lost each of their opening three matches in this season's First Division, fell behind to Dean Burgess' eighth minute goal, but quickly replied through Lewis Ward.

Evan Stanfield gave Peter Goldie's visitors the lead shortly before half-time, with late goals from Stevie Dolan and Reece Bedborough sealing three points.

"I am happy with the result. That is the main thing," Goldie commented.

"It was frustrating because we make it hard for ourselves, waiting until we're a goal down and then starting to play.

"The conditions didn't suit the style we try to play - the ball was sticking and holding up - but we scored at a good time just half-time to go in 2-1 up. The message then was to be professional and see the game out, and we did that.

"It was 4-1 going on 6-1 or 7-1. We left it late to score the last two goals, which is frustrating as it keeps them in the game. If you score early, you can start to relax a bit, and start to think about giving other players some game time.

"I'm delighted to get three points on the board. I'm hoping it will give the guiys a bit more confidence for Saturday."

Saturday's fixtures (kick offs 2.30pm): South Challenge Cup, first round - Rosyth v St Andrews United, Sauchie Juniors v Crossgates Primrose. East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, second round - Oakley United v Dunbar United, Whitburn v Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts.