Crossgates Primrose 0 Berwick Rangers 6, East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, second round

PRIMROSE suffered their second heavy cup defeat in the space of a week as Lowland League Berwick Rangers proved too strong at Humbug Park.

Alan Campbell's side had lost 5-1 to East of Scotland League, Premier Division rivals Sauchie Juniors seven days prior to this game in the first round of the South Challenge Cup, but bounced back with a midweek league success against Luncarty.

However, their East of Scotland Qualifying Cup hopes were emphatically ended by the Wee Gers, who netted three times in each half to set up a meeting with Camelon Juniors in the next round.

In what was a first-ever meeting between the sides, Crossgates fell behind after only five minutes when Grant Nelson's long-range effort got the better of Mikolaj Komocki, despite the goalkeeper getting fingertips to the shot.

Midway through the first half, Berwick struck again through Drew Cummings, and they went into the interval three goals ahead thanks to Lewis Baker's near post finish.

Early in the second half, Baker grabbed his second, and Berwick's fourth, before former Hibernian, Falkirk and Edinburgh City player, Alex Harris, added a fifth.

A tough day for the home side was completed with five minutes to go, when substitute Colin Paterson brought down David Ferguson inside the box, allowing Baker to complete his hat-trick from the penalty spot.

Campbell said: "It was a bit of a shocker for us in all honesty.

"We worked on a game plan, a way we wanted to play and set up, and were confident we could give a good account of ourselves, but we lost a goal after five minutes and that plan went out the window.

"I thought that we didn't really make them work for their goals. They were avoidable.

"I expected us, at home in a cup tie, to acquit ourselves better and the players have been made aware of that. There will be changes to the team for Saturday - we've got players coming back from injury - and I'll be looking for a reaction."

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 2 Dunbar United 1, East of Scotland League, Premier Division

SWIFTS boss Jason Dair has set his sights on continuing their winning run after they picked up a third success in a row on Saturday.

After opening their campaign with three league defeats on the bounce, and an Alex Jack Cup first round exit, they progressed in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, second round, against Whitburn before registering an eye-catching 4-1 league win over Sauchie Juniors last Wednesday.

Ryan Cowie gave them a first half lead and, although that goal was almost instantly cancelled out by Mark Smith, Ronan McMurchie's double, and an Aaron Wood goal, gave them an impressive victory.

Swifts then took on a Dunbar United side that had won four of their opening five games ahead of kick off at the weekend, and sent them home with a second defeat of their season.

Cowie's finish from around 12 yards out gave the hosts the lead inside the opening quarter-of-an-hour, but Sean Stewart levelled before the interval with a well-taken lob.

However, it was to be the Swifts' day, and they struck the winner with just over 20 minutes to go when man of the match, Liam Kelly, picked the ball up just inside the penalty area, skillfully moved beyond two Dunbar challenges, before slotting home with a cool finish.

"On paper, they were two very tough games obviously," Dair said of the Sauchie and Dunbar matches.

"The cup game last weekend against Whitburn, who have been flying high as well and getting some decent results, gave the players a wee bit of confidence. They just took that on to Wednesday's game, and followed that up on Saturday.

"I think they (Dunbar) were sitting in third or fourth place at the start of play on Saturday. They had a decent start, and have spent a bit of cash as a lot of the Edinburgh teams seem to be able to do, but there wasn't much in the game to be perfectly honest, especially first half.

"Second half, I think we gradually got on top, and got the goal we deserved. It's a great three points."

Dair has been delighted with the efforts of his players and was pleased to see their play rewarded, continuing: "They've worked their backsides off the last three games, and they've managed to get the cup win, and then two great results in the league.

"We've got another home game on Saturday, against Kinnoull, so it's another chance to put another one together and keep this run going.

"If we can get a good run started, and keep it going, the games just start to fall into one another and you get into a habit of winning games. That's a great habit to get into."

Rosyth 6 Vale of Leithen 0, East of Scotland League, First Division

ROSYTH began the post Greig Denham era with a flourish as they hit Vale of Leithen for six on Saturday.

Following last Tuesday evening's loss at Heriot-Watt University, by the same scoreline, and which followed a 4-0 home defeat to St Andrews United in the South Challenge Cup, Denham and his assistant, Graeme Meldrum, resigned from their roles.

First team coach, Graeme Nutt, and club captain, Garry Leighton, agreed to take the team on an interim basis, and they oversaw an emphatic victory over the division's bottom side.

Zac Mooney set them on their way with 27 minutes on the clock, with Callum Strang doubling their lead.

A quick-fire double from Tam Hampson and Marc Sludden put Rosyth four goals up, before late goals from Matt Gallagher, and Jason Penman, from the penalty spot, sealed victory.

Rosyth chairman, Russell Craig, said: "The boys did well. At the end of the day, you can only beat what's in front of you.

"We had goals from six different players, a clean sheet and a new management team, so we can't grumble at that.

"We're looking for much of the same."

Leith Athletic 4 Oakley United 1, East of Scotland League, First Division

OAKLEY UNITED boss Peter Goldie described their loss to Leith Athletic on Saturday as "very, very frustrating".

The Blairwood Park outfit were aiming to bounce back from their East of Scotland Qualifying Cup loss to Premier Division Dunbar United last time out, but fell to defeat in the capital.

Goldie felt his team, who were denied from the penalty spot with the scoreline blank, "could have been two or three nil up at half-time", but instead went in at the break trailing to James Burt's strike from around 20 yards out.

Stephen Scott added a second for the hosts at Meadowbank, before further efforts from Kayne Paterson and Cammy Stewart put the game to bed, despite Oakley netting a late consolation.

"We came out in the second half and lost three goals in the space of five minutes, which puts the game to bed," Goldie said.

"We lost our left back to a head knock, which disrupts the back four and doesn't help, but it's just lapses in concentration.

"We caused our own problems. For the first 35-40 minutes, I thought we were comfortable and could get a result. We were creating chances and looked good, but then we just capitulated."

Goldie was set to hold talks with some members of his squad this week, with a view to trimming down his squad, and added: "We need to get a result this weekend to build the confidence up and kick on.

"We need to turn it around, and turn it around quickly, with results."

Saturday's fixtures (kick-offs 2.30pm unless stated): East of Scotland League, Premier Division - Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts v Kinnoull (2pm). Alex Jack Cup, second round - Bo'ness Athletic v Crossgates Primrose, Harthill Royal v Oakley United, Livingston United v Rosyth.