Rosyth 6 Peebles Rovers 2, King Cup, second round

ROSYTH cruised into the third round of the King Cup after hitting Peebles Rovers for six on Saturday.

Stevie Crawford's side had been involved in an eight-goal extravaganza with Whitburn on East of Scotland League First Division business last weekend, winning 5-3, and shared another eight with their Second Division opponents in this a comprehensive victory.

That was despite the visitors taking an early lead thanks to Harry McGill's well-taken finish, which they held until the stroke of half time when Marc Sludden brought the ball down inside the box, before placing a shot into the top corner for the equaliser.

The home team started the second period brightly and they deservedly took the lead when Aiden McAvoy slotted home from the left side of the penalty area.

Darren Ormiston, with his second goal in as many games after returning from a lengthy spell out with an ankle injury, and a penalty from Jason Penman, who Crawford felt "brought a calmness" to his team's play, put Rosyth 4-1 up, before Sludden netted his second of the afternoon with a well-executed chipped finish over the goalkeeper from just outside the box.

Ciaran Healy added the sixth by getting on the end of a cross from the right to side-foot home from 10 yards and although Kyle Kivlichan netted a second for Peebles, it was no more than mere consolation.

"We freshened up the team as we had a few out through illness, injury, suspension and work commitments. This allowed us to give boys game time that have been waiting on an opportunity, having contributed from the subs bench, or been returning from injuries in recent weeks," Crawford said.

"Peebles made it difficult from the start and went ahead early on with probably the best chance created in the first half. It was a typical cup tie for the first 30 minutes, with both teams trying to get a grip of the game, but not much quality on the ball.

Dunfermline Press: Stevie Crawford watched his side progress comfortably.Stevie Crawford watched his side progress comfortably. (Image: David Wardle.)

"After 30 minutes, we started to play a bit, and we scored a decent goal on the stroke of half time. The second half, we started brighter and, as the half went on, we started to show more quality in the opposition half.

"Credit to Peebles for making it a competitive cup tie, but our quality in the second half got us through to the next round."

Crawford's side were due to travel to St Andrews United last night (Wednesday) for a rearranged East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, third round tie. If they were to progress, they would host Blackburn United in the next round, this Saturday, at 2.30pm.

Meanwhile, Crossgates Primrose and Oakley United saw their Premier Division and King Cup first round matches, against Glenrothes and Hawick Royal Albert, postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

Saturday's fixtures: East of Scotland League, Premier Division: Tynecastle v Crossgates Primrose (2.30pm). First Division: Oakley United v Lochore Welfare (2pm).

Dunfermline Press: Rosyth were too good for their Second Division opponents.Rosyth were too good for their Second Division opponents. (Image: David Wardle.)