TAM O'WARE has admitted that taking on a coaching role with Queen's Park didn't go how he'd hoped but is relishing being back in Kelty Hearts colours.

Whilst the 31-year-old, who was red-carded late on during Saturday's loss at Annan Athletic, is aiming to find further off-field roles to continue his involvement in the game, he's determined to enjoy the remainder of the current campaign with what he described as "a good group of boys".

Former Greenock Morton and Partick Thistle centre back O'Ware, who was brought to Kelty in the summer of 2021 by Kevin Thomson, was back in the team for their recent home defeat to Cove Rangers.

He last played for Kelty in late September, in a win over Queen of the South, during which he sustained an ankle injury.

O'Ware combined playing for the New Central Park outfit with a role as head coach of Young Queen's Park, but left when he joined the interim coaching staff of the Championship club's first team, following the dismissal of Robin Veldman, in December.

The Spiders subsequently appointed former St Johnstone boss Callum Davidson, with O'Ware reverting back to his position with the youngsters.

However, speaking to Press Sport after Kelty's win over Alloa Athletic last midweek, in which he netted the winner, O'Ware said he had left the Glasgow side and was happy to answer the call of long-time friend, Michael Tidser, about a return to Fife.

"At the time it was a difficult one. Obviously, I got a bad ankle injury, and then I was coaching full-time," he explained.

"When it came to go in and coach the first team at Queen's Park, which is something that I want to do after football, it came at a time where I had to make a decision.

"I spoke to the club and the gaffer (Tidser) was ok with it, but it's not panned how maybe I'd wanted it to there. The gaffer phoned and just said listen, we've been mates for 12 years, so if I can come back and help in any way.

"I didn't know what level I'd be it. I managed to lean on every bit of experience I've got.

"I had a couple of texts over the last few months but, if I was going to go back in, it would be here. The gaffer's been a good friend of mine for 12 years. He's helped me a lot, from the younger days at Morton, and throughout that, we are personal friends."

When asked about his role with Queen's, O'Ware continued: "I was head coach of the B team. That's what I originally went there as.

"Then, when the manager, Robin Veldman, got sacked, I went in as interim staff with the first team and with the B team. Then, when they brought the manager in, I went back to the B team. I don't want to go into details, but the club's position has changed.

"It's good that this came at a good time to keep my mind off it and enjoy my football.

"I was at Rangers (academy) for a couple of years when I first signed here, and then went to Queen's Park, so have done full-time coaching for the last two years. I'm at the stage of my career where it's that decision of, if something comes up full-time, then that's where I'm only going to play football for another couple of years, whereas coaching's the next bit of my life.

"It's just maybe waiting on the next opportunity coming up and seeing where it goes.

"I've built up a good CV so, again, we'll just wait and see what opportunities arise. But, for just now, if it's the last seven, eight games that I play, I'll enjoy them with a good group of boys."